The Oviedo Preservation Project Presents:
2017 Photography Contest for the 2018 Preservation Calendar
CONTEST DATE: Submissions must be RECEIVED by Friday, August 18, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. (so send them sooner).
ENTRY FEE: $0 (you may enter up to three photographs).
THEME: Times They Are a Changin’
AGE OF PARTICIPANT: Photographers of all ages are welcome to submit their reflections of Greater Oviedo’s past.
JUDGING DATE: Monday, September 4, 2017. Reception to announce winners at 5:30 p.m. on September 12 (Tuesday) via online reception (unless and until a location is secured…in which case we’ll let you know about the in-person gathering!)
PRIZES: There will be 12 winners. Each winning photograph will receive a one year complimentary membership in The Oviedo Preservation Project (complete with a reusable tote bag) OR a complimentary entry into The Rising Run (a $32 value that comes with a cool T-shirt and some other goodies) OR $25 in cash. The 1st place photo will appear on the cover. The 2nd place photo will represent December. Though each photographer can enter up to 3 pictures, only one submission per photographer may win.
RULES & GUIDELINES:
These rules and guidelines were formulated with the help of the Oviedo Photographic Club to help ensure that the best quality Preservation Calendar is produced and printed, and proudly represents our history and heritage. These rules should in no way discourage any potential participant from submitting an image. If you would like to participate but have questions about meeting the requirements as stated below, a member of the Oviedo Photographic Club will be happy to assist you. Please email your request to OviedoPhotoClub@gmail.com
- Photograph Subject Matter: Participants are encouraged to consider which images were selected for last year’s calendar and NOT to use these same structures to insure diversity of content for this year’s calendar. You can see which images were chosen for previous calendars on TOPP’s website at: http://facebook.com/OviedoHistory and www.oviedotraditions.org
- Photographs must be of a historical nature. Photographs do not have to be of the entire home or structure, but could be an element of the historical structure that is unique or outstanding. This year’s theme is “Times They Are A Changing” What does that mean? Whatever you think it does! Be creative and show us your interpretation through your photos!
- Subjects may be homes, religious buildings, schools, landscapes, signs, and commercial structures that are at least 50 years old. The State of Florida recognizes all properties older than fifty years old as “historic,” so any building or feature that existed before 1967 qualifies. Photographs featuring newer properties will not be eligible for consideration as winners.
- Photographed subject must be within the Greater Oviedo area, which includes: Oviedo, Chuluota, Slavia, Jamestown, Geneva, Black Hammock, and other unincorporated areas adjacent to Oviedo.
- If the photograph submitted is recent and has a recognizable person/people in the scene, a release form must be obtained from each person in the photo. Release forms can be downloaded from TOPP’s website at http://oviedotraditions.org/photo-release and submitted with entry.
- Scanned images of old photographs may be submitted. Scanned images should meet the same criteria as outlined below. If you are unsure of the best way to scan your photo, a member of the Oviedo Photographic Club will be happy to assist you. You can email your request for help to OviedoPhotoClub@gmail.com
- All physical CD’s and prints become the property of TOPP and will not be returned, so please make a copy for your records. The photographer retains the copyright privileges to each photograph. TOPP will retain the rights to utilize photographs in the calendar and related promotions.
- Submission Rules: Photographs must be submitted by e-mail with the specifications below. (If your e-mail account is not large enough to send a photograph, you may mail a CD, but keep in mind that as soon as we remove the image, we throw away the CD, so please e-mail if you are able). E-mail submissions should be sent to CONTEST@OVIEDOTRADITIONS.ORG. Please allow suitable time before submission deadline.
- Resolution: All cameras, as well as cell phones, should be a minimum of 5 megapixels and set at the highest resolution (JPEGfine). If processing photo, save as JPEG with 300 dpi and as a 11 x 8 photo (slightly less tall than a sheet of paper – we need room for the captions).
- Landscape orientation: Landscape orientation (a horizontal photo rather than a vertical photo) is preferred as it allows for consistency throughout the printed calendar. When composing your photo, remember the photo will need to be cropped to 11 inches wide by 8 inches high PRIOR TO JUDGING. If you are unsure of the best way to compose your photo in landscape orientation, or you need help making it 8×11, a member of the Oviedo Photographic Club will be happy to assist you. If you do not get help making your photo the right size in advance, volunteers from the Photo Club will crop your photo for you prior to judging to reflect what will be printed in the calendar if your photo is selected.
- Color/Black and White: Photos may be submitted in color (and we encourage you to submit your photos in both color AND black and white), but they will be judged and printed only in grayscale. If you are unsure of the best way to convert your photo to black and white, a member of the Oviedo Photographic Club will do it for you. If you send a black and white photo, we would appreciate a color copy as well to use in our archives of important places of Oviedo.
- Format: All photos must be submitted in electronic format. Up to three photos may be submitted, and our mail server is large enough to handle all 3 files being sent at once. If you are unable to e-mail the files, the CD must be submitted in a sleeve or case. Use a Sharpie marker to put your name and title of each picture ON the face of the CD and also on the sleeve or case. Remember CD’s will not be returned. Regardless of which method you choose to get the files to us, each electronic file must be titled with the property address AND the year the photo was taken AND your name. (Example: 100 Magnolia Street in May 2016 – John Smith)
- Description: If you have any information on the scene, please submit a 75 to 100 word descriptive caption for each photograph (complete with any details you know about its history). Please title your caption with the identical title as you used for your photograph. (Example: 100 Magnolia Street in May 2013 – John Smith – This lovely home was built over 50 years ago and shows the quality of materials used by the person who built it). Include these descriptions as a digital text file (word processer file) on your CD or in your e-mail. Please be aware that your caption will be edited for length and the information will be verified by members of the Geneva Genealogical and Historical Society and The Oviedo Preservation Project.
- Entries must be received by Friday, August 18, 2017 at 5:00 pm. Submit entries to: TOPP, Attn: Photo Contest, 6007 Lake Charm Circle, Oviedo, FL 32765 OR Contest@OviedoTraditions.org. Please do not send duplicate entries (if you sent by e-mail, do not also send a hard copy by mail). Choose EITHER to send a CD with all of your submissions, OR to e-mail everything. Please do not send a CD unless you absolutely must. It’s bad for the environment and creates extra work for the contest organizers.
- Judging: Entries will be judged on their representation of the following criteria:
- Historical Merit
- Artistic Merit
- Technical Merit
- Adherence to Contest Rules
- All entries will be printed at a professional lab, for consistency, and for the purpose of judging and future display.
- Winners will be announced at the Photo Reception, which will be held the 2nd week of September. Those photographs chosen as the winners will be published in TOPP’s next Annual Preservation Calendar. Each winner will receive a copy of the calendar. When published, the calendar will be available at various locations throughout greater Oviedo including the Citizens Bank of Florida, Oviedo City Hall, the Oviedo-Winter Springs Regional Chamber of Commerce, and other high-traffic locations. Calendars will be unveiled at Great Day in the Country. They will also be distributed at Oviedo’s Christmas Tree Lighting the first Saturday in December.
When taking photographs please be considerate of other peoples’ property! It’s not cool to trespass!